Time for a special and long overdue release here at noisyvagabond! For our 50th release we present a gigantic collection of tracks (43 to be exact for a total of 6 hours of music!) from Split Phase. Split Phase was a live electronic duo hailing from Upstate NY consisting of myself (c. ‘transient’ martin) and Mike McIntosh active for a period roughly through 2010-2014. For our live shows, we were joined by Nate Vanslyke on lights and visuals. I provided the musical backing via loopers and a plethora of synths and effect processors while Mike provided the rhythms via an acoustic and electronic drum kit. Split Phase was an attempt to make music in real time which generally was made with sequencers or computers and bring those types of sounds into an improvised live process. As such, the music lost some of it’s precision but gained much in the way of humanized passionate expression. Presented here is a small selection of the countless hours of recordings we amassed practicing and creating on a near daily basis. You will find an eclectic mix of genres ranging from jazz, funk, drum and bass, dub, techno, downtempo, and more as we were never interested in pigeonholing ourselves into any particular sound. I hope you can find something in this compendium that moves you. One day the fates will realigned and new Split Phase music will be churned out. Until then, ENJOY!
Acknowledgements: Thanks to Carmen Chiles for letting us include our remix of her track ‘Love is’ and Sarah Winton for providing vocals for ‘Compromise’.
This work/site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 License
live @ natural method yoga studio [nvr039] 2009
August 15th, 2009 [natural method yoga studio in Amsterdam, Ny]
01 : set
01: peace (from ‘the little number eats the big number’ on miasmah)
02: warm night lullaby (from ‘crossways compilation’ on thinner)
03: sleepy eyes (released anonymously on ansiform)
04: love story (from ‘feel good inside’ on camomille)
05: bedroom ambient 02 (from ‘demeter weeps compilation’ on camomille)
06: in shadows (from ‘quietest ep’ on noisy vagabond)
07: treelighting ceremony from a distance (from ‘be ep’ on monotonik)
08: random ambient rumblings (live)
09: midnight waterfall (from ‘spoonmusic compilation’ on spoomusic)
10: prayer for understanding (from ‘prayers ep’ on observatory online)
11: artroom (released anonymously on ansiform)
12: head in those clouds (from ‘the little number eats the big number’ miasmah)
13: squared away (from ‘single sample sessions’ on noisyvagabond)
14: surface tension (from ‘waveform ep’ on laverna)
15: melts away (from ‘melts away…’ on noisy vagabond)
Also available on….
Release Text :
December 4th, 2004, Carl Martin crossed the border (much against the will of the evil that is canadian customs) to open the night at the Ô Patro Vys in montreal. Transient set the mood of the night with this set featuring tracks from his One and Camomille releases, as well as upcoming tracks on tbtmo.
live @ apegenine launch party [camomille082] mp3
December 4th, 2004
01 : set
What was then listed as the set: (some details have changed since then)
1. electronic data (from ‘over the river and through the woods lp’ on one.)
2. pastlyfe (from ‘endless towers ep’ on camomille.)
3. magic genie (from ‘humid genie ep’ on camomille.)
4. sweater weather (from ‘pyrite 2cdr’ on tbtmo.)
5. downhill gravity spirls (from ‘white blazes lp’ on noisyvagabond.)
6. ts-module04_ace(vst).it (from ‘the impulse tracker ep’ upcoming split cd on tbtmo.)
7. ts-module07_lake(vst).it (from ‘the impulse tracker ep’ upcoming split cd on tbtmo.)
8. ts-module01_fin(vst).it (from ‘the impulse tracker ep’ upcoming split cd on tbtmo.)
9. cute people & god (from ‘future jazz played underwater’ on noisyvagabond.)
10. tymewerm (from ‘vibon 2’ cd compilation on tbtmo.)
11. visi (from ‘vibon’ cd compilation on tbtmo.)
12. ts-module08_treelightingceremonyfromadistance(vst).it (from ‘the impulse tracker ep’ upcoming split cd on tbtmo.com)
Also available on….